This is a compilation of scholarships and awards, NOT AFFILIATED WITH, BUT IN ADDITION TO, THE DOLLARS FOR SCHOLARS APPLICATION. These scholarships are available to graduating members of Whitman-Hanson Regional High School, Class of 2018, as well as any other 12th grade student residing in the towns of Whitman and/or Hanson and attending a public or private school, either within or outside the limits of either town. For information regarding the DFS scholarships please visit www.whitmanandhanson.dollarsforscholars.org.
The Whitman-Hanson Regional High School Counseling Office coordinates the local scholarship program for seniors of all schools. However, counselors do not determine the winners. The selections are made by the committees or trustees designated by the by-laws of each individual scholarship. Scholarships, prizes and awards sponsored or administered by the Whitman-Hanson Regional School District are free of restrictions based upon race, color, sex, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.
Monetary values for each scholarship listed here may vary from what is eventually awarded. Amounts listed were awarded last year, but may be increased or decreased. Payment is made by the appropriate scholarship committee. In most cases, payment is not made until the beginning of the student’s second semester in the freshman year after receipt of grades from the first semester. Please know that in the event of any last minute changes, some scholarships listed may not be available.
TO APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS:
In order to be considered for any local and community scholarship, you must fill out the appropriate forms and return them with all the proper requirements to the Guidance Office at Whitman-Hanson Regional High School ON or BEFORE Wednesday, APRIL4, 2018.
Criteria for all scholarships are listed before the applications. Before you start, read the criterion for each and check off any scholarship for which you may be eligible. This method will help you keep track and not miss any. There is ONE application for “IN-HOUSE” SCHOLARSHIPS and individual applications for the remainder of the scholarships, which are picked up by various committees.
READ THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY AND COMPLETELY. All applications for Whitman and Hanson School and Community Scholarships must include:
- A completed application including goal statement and resume. Your goal statement should include your future career and/or college plans including short-term and long-term goals.
- A copy of your transcript
- Two letters of recommendation
One copy of your transcript is available in the school counseling office, but you are responsible for all additional copies. All completed applications must be returned to the Whitman-Hanson Counseling Office with transcript, two recommendations, goal statement, and resume attached to each application. Awards will be presented WEDNESDAY, MAY 30, 2018 - 6:30 PM in the Performing Arts Center at Whitman-Hanson Regional High School. If you apply for any scholarship, please plan to attend. Parents, families and friends are welcome and encouraged to attend.
ON THE BACK OF EACH CERTIFICATE GIVEN AWARDS NIGHT, PLEASE NOTE THE NAME AND ADDRESS OF THE PERSON OR COMMITTEE THAT ISSUED YOUR SCHOLARSHIP. PLEASE BE SURE TO SEND A THANK YOU NOTE FOR EACH SCHOLARSHIP AWARDED YOU AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!
ANY SCHOLARSHIP NOT CLAIMED BY JUNE 1, 2019 WILL BECOME INVALID.
- FIRST UNITARIAN SOCIETY OF WHITMAN SCHOLARSHIP - $200 – Award to be granted to a senior with academic excellence and accepted at an institution of higher learning.
- BARBARA ANN GRADY SCHOLARSHIP - $175 – Awarded annually to a senior girl entering a four-year college. She should have an outstanding record of scholarship, citizenship, and participation in extra-curricular activities.
- ANNE GERTRUDE SCHOLZ - Awarded to deserving students planning to further their education, with adherence to basic religious principles, scholastic ability and/or financial need.
- PETER W. COLBY MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP - $100 – Awarded to a male member of the graduation class of Whitman-Hanson Regional High School who has been admitted to a post-high school education program in the area of vocational education.
- ROBERT E. BROOKS MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP - $150 – Awarded to only one member of the graduating class continuing his education in the field of art or technical education.
- Not Available in 2018.
- JOHN J. FARRELL MEMORIAL AWARD - $100 – Awarded to a member of the Senior Class of Whitman-Hanson Regional High School. Financial need and a commitment to work hard shall be the primary criteria used. The recipient should be a good student but not necessarily a superior one, and must attend a two or a four-year college in the September following graduation.
- JAMES “JIMMY” CASTAGNOZZI MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP - $500 – Awarded to a Whitman-Hanson senior planning to be an Aviation Major at Bridgewater State University. If not Bridgewater, any other Aviation School would be preferred. If there is no such student, it is to be given to a student attending Bridgewater State University who has not yet received another scholarship.
- PLYMOUTH COUNTY EDUCATION ASSOCIATION – (3) – These awards will be presented to one student from Whitman, one from Hanson and one from Whitman-Hanson Regional High School. Criteria: Each recipient should be the child of a WHEA/PCEA member or a student continuing their studies in education – preferably both.
- DR. HENRY J. PILOTE, JR. AND ANGELINA E. PILOTE SCHOLARSHIP - This scholarship will be awarded to a student entering a FOUR year college or university. He/she must also be involved in various activities such as student council, theater, student politics, athletics, etc. An essay must be provided as to why he/she should receive this scholarship.
12. WILLIAM J. AND ANNA CLIFFORD HOWARD SCHOLARSHIP - Awarded to the highest-ranking Whitman-Hanson Regional senior entering a 4-year degree granting institution. NO APPLICATION.
13. ROBERT COLE HISTORY SCHOLARSHIP - $500 (WHRHS student) – Selected by the Social Studies Department. NO APPLICATION.
- Whitman-Hanson Class of '79 is offering a $250.00 scholarship to any graduating student from Whitman or Hanson who has been accepted at an institution of higher learning, and one of the following applies:1) Has been accepted into a Teaching program.
2) Has been accepted into a medical field program (Physical Therapy, Sports Medicine, Nursing, C.N.A, Neuroscience, etc.).
3) Has been accepted into a Veterinarian program.
- DR. EDWARD T. WALSH MATHEMATICS SCHOLARSHIP – (WHRHS Student) – Awarded to a member of the Graduating Class who is judged by vote of the teachers of mathematics to be the most proficient student in mathematics in that class. NO APPLICATION.
- THE CLASS OF 1979 - MARK BOULDRY MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP- The Class of 1979 is offering a $250.00 scholarship to any graduating student from Whitman or Hanson who has been accepted at an institution of higher learning, and one of the following applies:
1) Has been accepted into one of the United States Military Academies.
2) Has been accepted into a Senior Military Academy or State Maritime Academy.
3) Has been accepted into an ROTC program while attending college or university.
4) Has joined the National Guard or Reserves while attending college or university.
Whose parent(s) served or are currently serving in the United States Military or National Guard.
- COLBY W. McCARTHY MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP - Students planning to attend a 2 or 4 year college to further their education.
- WHITMAN-HANSON BAND/MAJORETTE SCHOLARSHIP - Applicants must have played an instrument or participated as a majorette in the high school and/or middle school band program for 4-7 years. Requirements: Senior participating in band all four years of high school; Senior participating in band all four years of high school and middle school; Senior participating in four years of high school, middle school and marching band; Majorette participating all four years of high school. Applicants must be planning to attend a two or four year college starting in the fall of this year and be a senior in good standing.
- AHERN FAMILY MUSIC SCHOLARSHIP - $500 - Awarded to a student majoring in Music Education.
- ONSTAGE School of Performing Arts Scholarship - Recipient must have attended Onstage School of Performing Arts for a minimum of 3 years.
- Connolly Leadership Scholarship - $500 - Recipient must have an interest in a career in management or pursuing a leadership role in the workplace. He or she must also be interested in the advancement of minorities. Candidate must be planning to attend a 4 yr. college and be ranked in the top 1/2 of his/her class.
- BOSS ACADEMY OF PERFORMING ARTS SCHOLARSHIP $500 This scholarship will be awarded to a graduating student who will continue his/her education with a two or four year degree. Please include a short essay i including your future goals along with your transcript.
- WHITMAN POLICE ASSOCIATION SCHOLARSHIP – $250 ea. – Awarded to Whitman residents who are members of a graduating class planning to attend a 2 or 4-year college or trade school. Preference will be given to a relative or member of the Whitman Police Department. Scholarship will be given after completion of the 1st semester by providing grades or second semester bill.
- RUTHIE CARPENTER MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP – $1000 - This scholarship will be awarded to a deserving student attending Whitman-Hanson Regional High School. (See application for further details.)
- WHITMAN AMERICAN LEGION POST 22 - 4 @ $500 ea. & ROBERT B. CUSHMAN MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP - $500 – The honor is awarded to deserving students residing in Whitman, attending the 12th grade, or equivalent, of a public or private school, either within or outside the limits of the town of Whitman. It will be based on the applicants’ need and/or scholarship ability, with preference given to relatives of Legion Members, a son or daughter of a veteran, or other qualified applicants. The American Legion is to choose the students for the scholarship. Name of veteran or member & relationship must be on application.
- PATRICK L. & EDWARD M. FLANAGAN CULINARY SCHOLARSHIP - $TBD -This scholarship will be awarded to a graduating senior who has a passion for culinary arts.
- DUVAL PTO SCHOLARSHIP - (3) - All recipients must have been Duval Elementary students who attended the school through the fifth grade and were students of certain teachers. (See application for details.) Two letters of recommendation are required.
- CHRIS MacIVER MEMORIALSCHOLARSHIP - $250 - Award will be presented to a WHRHS graduating student planning to pursue his/her degree in a special education program at a 2 or 4 year college. Preference will be given to a student who has been involved with peer tutoring during high school. Please include a short essay on your future goals along with your transcript.
- WHITMAN MOTHER’S CLUB SCHOLARSHIP – Scholarship will be awarded to graduating students planning to attend a post-secondary school to further his/her education or training for employment. Students whose parents are current active members of Whitman Mother’s Club will receive top priority. In the event there are none, other applicants will be considered.
- WHITMAN YOUTH SOCCER SCHOLARSHIP – 2 @ $500 ea. & 2 @ $250 ea. – Whitman residents who are high school seniors and registered for and completed two fall seasons in Whitman Youth Soccer may apply.
- HANSON YOUTH FOOTBALL SCHOLARSHIP– (In Memory of John Conroy & Colby McCarthy) – 2 @ $250 ea. – Awarded to WHRHS graduating seniors pursuing a career in Music, Graphic Design or Business Administration who have participated in the Hanson Youth Football program for at least one year. The award will be made on the basis of good sportsmanship, extra-curricular and community activities. It is to be used only for payment of tuition to an institution authorized to confer a degree or to a technical school. Applicants must include a letter detailing their past association with HYF, activities in the community and future goals in life. Recipients must also be in the top 50% of their class and continuing their education in September of this year.
- WHITMAN DEMOCRATIC TOWN COMMITTEE SCHOLARSHIP- (3) Recipients must be Whitman residents and entering his/her freshman year of school of higher learning. If candidate is 18 years of age or older, he/she MUST BE A REGISTERED VOTER. A brief essay from the applicant is required stating why he/she should be considered for this scholarship.
- "TED" NEWCOMB MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP -$500 - This scholarship will be awarded to an athlete/scholar who is going into Special ed or the Education field.
- KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS WHITMAN COUNCIL 347 MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIPS - Awards are to be presented to graduating seniors from the local communities who have made the commitment to continue his/her education after high school. The recipients of these awards should be good, but not necessarily superior students. The awards will be made based on scholastic record, character, community and church involvement and all-around capability of the applicant.
- WHITMAN JR. PRO BASKETBALL SCHOLARSHIP – 4 @ $250 – Given to residents of Whitman who have played at least two years of Jr. Pro Basketball and will be attending an institute of higher learning including a two-year trade school or junior college. Include SAT scores. MUST COMPLETE ESSAY!
- VALERIE A. CLAPP MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP– 2 @$3000 This scholarship will be awarded to a graduating student, either from Hanson or Whitman, attending any public or private high school. The following requirements are to be met:
- Student must have attended Indian Head School and provide years attended
- Must have a financial need for scholarship assistance
- Award is to be used for college or post-secondary training
- VELMA BRADFORD RN REGISTERED NURSE SCHOLARSHIP – $500 – Awarded to a deserving student, graduating this year, who has been accepted to and will be attending a 2 or 4 year nursing school/program culminating in licensure as a registered nurse.
- NARISSA L. CROSSCUP MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP - Awarded to graduating seniors who will continue their education commencing in September of this year. Please include a one-page essay stating your goals. Scholarship will be given second semester.
- WHITMAN-HANSON SOCCER BOOSTERS CLUB SCHOLARSHIP - Awarded to student who has participated in the WHRHS Soccer Program. Include recommendation from a soccer coach.
- HANSON YOUTH SOFTBALL SCHOLARSHIP – 3 @ 100 ea. – This scholarship will be awarded to three graduating seniors who were involved in Hanson Youth Softball for 3 year or more. Applicants must also have been involved in extra curricular activities in high school. Please include a brief essay stating your goals.
- Not available in 2018.
- Not available in 2018.
- MAJOR MICHAEL DONAHUE SCHOLARSHIP - imo Army Major Michael Donahue - WH Class of 1990 - This scholarship will be awarded to a W-H graduate who will be participating in the Army ROTC Program while attending college or is the son or daughter of a member of the military. Please make note on application.
- PIERCE SCHOLARSHIP – 3 @ $300 ea. – Recipients must have attended the Louise A. Conley School and must be planning to continue their education in an education related field (including speech and language, occupational therapy and/or physical therapy). Community service, good character and passing grades are also factors. Must be in the top 50% of the class.
- HANSON D.A.R.E./STUDENT SAFETY SCHOLARSHIP – 2 @ $500 ea. - Awarded to HANSON seniors who have had interaction with youth in activities such as D.A.R.E. Grades are not criteria. This scholarship will be awarded second semester. Please include brief essay on your goals and how they meet the requirements.
- WHITMAN YOUTH FOOTBALL SCHOLARSHIPS – Qualifications for these scholarships are as follows
1) Years in youth football
2) Years helped out after leaving
3) Years in high school football and cheerleading
4) Going onto higher education
Please include essay on what WYF has meant to you and your future goals.
- COURTYARD CAFÉ CULINARY ARTS SCHOLARSHIP - Recipient must be a member of the “Running a Restaurant” Class at Whitman-Hanson Regional High School and be accepted into a culinary arts/restaurant management program in college.
- HOLY GHOST PARISH SCHOLARSHIPS -(Several scholarships available) Recipients must be active members of the Holy Ghost Parish.
- HANSON FIREFIGHTERS LOCAL 2713 - 2 @ $500 ea. - Recipients must be residents of Hanson or Whitman. Preference will first be given to a member's son or daughter and secondly to any firefighter's child or relative of a firefighter. Preference will then be given to students who are interested in taking fire science courses in college.
- WHITMAN FIRE DEPARTMENT SCHOLARSHIP - The Whitman Fire Association is offering a scholarship to a graduating senior who has already been accepted at an institution of higher learning. Financial need will also be a factor.
- OFFICER GERRY MONT MEMORIAL D.A.R.E. SCHOLARSHIP - This scholarship will be awarded to a WHITMAN RESIDENT who has shown interaction with youth in programs such as D.A.R.E. Grades are not criteria. Scholarship to be awarded second semester. Include brief essay regarding goals.
- ERIN CROGHAN MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP - Awarded to a Whitman-Hanson senior. Brief essay must be submitted which should include an importantt event that has impacted the person you are and the person you hope to become.
- HANSON YOUTH SOCCER (2) - Applicants must be graduating seniors and Hanson residents, planning to attend a 2 or 4 year college. Applicants must also have been involved as a player/coach/volunteer in Hanson Youth Soccer.
- OPTIMUM REAL ESTATE, INC. SCHOLARSHIP - 2 @ $250 ea. – Awarded to students from Whitman or Hanson continuing their education toward a two or four year degree in business, or starting or going into a business. Please include a one-page essay on goals. RECIPIENTS OF THIS SCHOLARSHIP MUST REDEEM THEIR AWARD BY MARCH 1, 2019.
- HANSON YOUTH BASKETBALL SCHOLARSHIP – In Memory of Amy Patturelli - $300 - Awarded to a Hanson graduate who has participated in Hanson Youth Basketball. Must be in top 50% of the class. Given at second semester. Please include brief essay on goals.
- HANSON YOUTH CHEERLEADING SCHOLARSHIP - This will be awarded to one or two students who cheered in the Hanson Youth Cheerleading Program and plan to continue their education. Please include a short essay on what the Cheerleading Program has meant to you along with your transcript and 2 recommendations.
- WHITMAN HIGH / W-H REGIONAL HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI ASSOCIATION SCHOLARSHIP- $500 - This scholarship will be awarded to a WHRHS senior who has had one or both parents graduate from Whitman High/Whitman-Hanson Regional High School. Recipient must be planning to attend a two or four-year college. This award will be presented at graduation.
- STEVEN AND DEAN ORCUTT MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP - $500 – Awarded to a Whitman or Hanson student proficient in Math.
- HANSON POLICE RELIEF ASSOCIATION SCHOLARSHIP - $500 – Preference given to Hanson residents planning to attend a two or four year accredited college in September of this year preferably majoring in criminal justice or law enforcement. Preference is also given to a relative of a Hanson police officer. Applicant must be in the top 50% of the class. Brief essay is required.
- ROCKLAND HANSON ROTARY CLUB SCHOLARSHIP AWARD - 2- Scholarships will be granted to graduating students, (one from Whitman and one from Hanson) who reflect Rotary International's motto of "Service Above Self" and demonstrate active involvement in community service. Applicants planning to attend a post-secondary school including trade/vocational school will be considered as well as vocational student applicants requiring tools and equipment for their profession and/or training.
- SONS OF WHITMAN AMERICAN LEGION SQUADRON # 22 - $500 – This honor is awarded to a deserving student residing in Whitman, attending the 12th grade, or equivalent, of a public or private school, either within or outside the limits of the town of Whitman. It will be based on the applicant’s need and/or scholarship ability, with preference given to a relative of Legion Member, a son or daughter of a veteran, or other qualified applicants. Please include two recommendations 1) a teacher and 2) any non-family, non-school related adult. Please list your course of study along with college choices.
- WHITMAN-HANSON DRAMA CLUB SCHOLARSHIP - Not available in 2018.
- BARNSTABLE COUNTY SHERIFF’S UNION SCHOLARSHIP IMO DANIEL P. KELLEY 1994 WH GRADUATE - $500 – This award will be presented to a WHRHS senior who plans to study Criminal Justice (or a related field) at any post secondary institution. An essay of 500 words (minimum) is required as to why criminal justice is important, etc. Please see application for additional requirements.
- THE JEAN JOSSELYN MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP - $500 – This scholarship will be awarded to a student with faith, strength and strong family values who has overcome a handicap, emotional or physical, and has made a positive influence in school and community.
71.JAMES MacDONALD ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP -- Recipient must be a graduate of WHRHS and a resident of Whitman and/or Hanson, participated in a sport at WH and be enrolled in a post secondary school. A written essay giving reason for applying and a resume are also required.
72. DANCE DIMENSION PERFORMING ARTS SCHOLARSHIP - $250 - Available to any member of the graduating class of WHRHS who has successfully completed the program of studies at Dance Dimension in Whitman.
73. HANSON AMERICAN LEGION LADIES' AUXILIARY SCHOLARSHIP - $300 - This will be awarded to a graduating student who is the relative of a veteran.
74. NOEL DYMOND CROSS Class of 1974 MEMORIAL AWARD - This award Is available to any graduating WHRHS student planning to pursue a degree in education.